Skye Thomas

Skye Thomas
Writer, Rebel, and Soapbox Ranter

Monday, September 01, 2014

2015 Ebooks and Annual Overviews - Looking Up Newsletter

September 1st, 2014
Looking Up Newsletter

Good morning,

I was in San Francisco last week as part of my new doctoral program. It was really lovely being surrounded by so many people that are deeply passionate about the field of psychology and finding ways to help those that are suffering. I made some new friends and am really enjoying my new classes.

Just before I left town, I loaded the 2015 ebooks and annual overviews into the website. The links are listed below within the body of this newsletter. I have said it before, but it is worth repeating… 2015 is going to be so much better than the last few years simply because it is not heavily inundated with negativity.

I am very much looking forward to the future while thoroughly enjoying the present.

take care,
Skye Thomas


Tomorrow's Edge
...inspiring leaps of faith
www.TomorrowsEdge.net

Books, articles, newsletters,
life coaching, and horoscopes.



This Month's News of Interest:


September 2014 Monthly Horoscopes

The new September horoscopes were posted to the website a couple of weeks ago. Here are the links...



If the new horoscopes do not show up, please click on the “refresh” button within your browser.





The free (generic) annual astrological overviews have been posted to the website...






Books by Skye Thomas





Who is Skye Thomas?

Skye Thomas is the CEO of Tomorrow's Edge, an Internet leader in inspiring leaps of faith. Her books, articles, and astrological forecasts have inspired people of all ages and faiths to recommit themselves to the pursuit of happiness. To read more of her articles, previews of her books, and her astrology forecasts, go to www.TomorrowsEdge.net. To read more about Skye and to read archives of this free weekly newsletter, go to www.SkyeThomas.com.



Skye Thomas Websites






Quote of the Week:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. – Theodore Roosevelt

Words cannot be remote from reality when they create reality. – John Cowper Powys

The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration. - Pearl S Buck



Feature Article of the Week:


Different Drummers

So many of us feel as if we do not fit in with the rest of our community. I remember reading in the first pages of the first chapter of my first psychology class that most people have some form of a mental health challenge, disorder, problem, or imbalance. They were not saying that everyone is completely nuts, but that it is normal to be abnormal. I have forever been touched by the deep irony of that concept. Is it any wonder that so many of us hear that far off faint sound of a different drummer? Some of us give in and march to that different drummer and some do everything they can to quiet the sound so that they can keep time marching with the masses. Why do we want so badly to fit in with each other?

There was a time when I was young that I wanted very much to fit in. I grew up in a very dysfunctional family and did not agree with anything that was going on. Since I was nothing like my own family members, I took it as further proof of what I was finding at school... that there must be something wrong with me since I did not fit in anywhere. The teenage years were especially hard as I tried to find my own little niche of like-minded people to hang out with. Later in my early twenties, I was quite the party girl and learned how to fit in on the surface, but deep down I still did not fit in and I secretly knew that.

When I had my first two children, I would watch them and analyze them. They were experiencing a warm loving nurturing childhood so unlike my own and yet they too were unlike any of their peers. They had just as much trouble fitting into the mold of what defines normal as I had experienced. For a while, I came to think that if I could be anyone in the world, I would want to be one of my kids. They handled the whole thing with so much more style and self-confidence then I ever had.

As time went on and I healed many of my old wounds, I came to see that I would not actually choose to be anyone else. There was nothing wrong with me just because I did not fit in with a messed up family and there was nothing wrong with me for not being Miss Popularity as a child. It is okay to be a bookworm. I came to realize that not only did I not hear the same drummer as everyone else; I heard Native American Wind Flutes and Celtic Harps! I wasn’t even marching to a drummer, but was floating to a softer breezier sound. I learned to like being me. I learned to like the music of my own unique soul. It harmonizes and floats as a soft melody over and around the drummers and those who march to drummers. I came to see that the world actually needs those of us who are not listening to drums. Our music matters too. What a wonderful moment that was. The more I analyze the world and myself.... the more I am so incredibly grateful that I do not fit in!

Yes, it can be lonely at times. Sometimes we look for others who are also on a unique and different path in hopes of finding companionship. What we find is that all too often they are still nothing like us. Isn't it ironic that even in our acceptance and joy over our uniqueness we still seek to find others to fit in with? We tell ourselves cool things like each human is as unique and special as a snowflake. Our fingerprints prove it, right? Yet, we still search for those like ourselves, soulmates, best friends, sisters and brothers who have chosen the same road less traveled that we have picked.

I think it is that magical spirit that flows within all things and within all life forms. It is the same energy that keeps the seasons turning and the life and death cycles revolving. It is that unexplained force that weaves itself throughout all of creation. It is that piece of ourselves that is trying to maintain the connection with everything else even from within the walls of living in these bodies. We long to know that others are out there just like us, experiencing the same longing for connection, the same need for validity that our existence matters to someone other than ourselves. Yes, we are at peace with being unique and different, but does that mean we are not loveable? Isn’t that the reason for the search?

The next step in my journey was to learn how to leave well enough alone and to NOT try to recruit others away from normalcy. That lesson proved to be much harder than making peace with who I was. It was much more difficult for me to make peace with who others were. I struggled with my logical mind saying, "If we simply enlighten them, then they will see how much happier they would be if they would move away from what is currently deemed normal. Shouldn’t we teach them how to listen for and march to their own drummer?"

On a spiritual level, I had to learn that sometimes people come to this planet to experience anonymity and normalcy. They find a quiet and ease that comes from simply following along and not making waves. There is safety in numbers, why else do people like to rattle off statistics as to how many others believe as they do? They tell themselves that since what they believe is popular, it must be right. They love the sound of that big beating drum. It inspires them, calling to them like a mother’s heartbeat. I am not one of those people, not this time.


Need someone to talk to about life's challenges?
Skye Thomas is available for life coaching.


Unless otherwise specified, newsletter contents copyright 1999-2014, Skye Thomas, Tomorrow’s Edge









If someone forwarded this newsletter to you and you would like to be included on a regular basis, send us an email to Subscribe@TomorrowsEdge.net with the words "free motivational newsletter" in the subject line. We will be happy to add you to the list.

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, send a blank email to Remove@TomorrowsEdge.net. We will make sure you are promptly removed without any hassles. This may sound obvious, but send it from the same email address that we send this to or the automated system will think you are opting a new address into the system instead of removing an old one.

To change email addresses, opt out of the old address by sending an email to Remove@TomorrowsEdge.net and then opt in with the new address by sending an email to Subscribe@TomorrowsEdge.net with the words "free motivational newsletter" in the subject line.





Tomorrow's Edge
...inspiring leaps of faith
www.TomorrowsEdge.net

Books, articles, newsletters,
life coaching, and horoscopes.

No comments: