Skye Thomas

Skye Thomas
Writer, Rebel, and Soapbox Ranter

Monday, April 23, 2012

The First Step - Looking Up Newsletter

April 23rd, 2012
Looking Up Newsletter

Good morning,

Today’s feature article was written back in 2003. I wrote it one morning as I was about to launch Tomorrow’s Edge for the third time. I had tried and failed twice before. I had given up and gone into a deep depression after the second attempt failed. I had to wrestle with the question “What work will I do, if not this? Who will I be, if not that person I have failed to become?” I finally decided that the answer was… “I would rather spend a lifetime failing at this, then to succeed at anything else.” And so, I sat there that morning, about to try for the third time. Hesitating and using that moment to write myself a pep talk.

Tomorrow, is a new “first step” for me. I am going back to school to finally finish what I started many years ago. I will be studying psychology (of course) and I expect that various classes will inspire me to write new articles about parenting, family dynamics, self-confidence, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, and whatnot. So, I re-read today’s article to remind myself that I’ve done this “first step” stuff before.

We’re never too old to start a whole new life… or to take a leap of faith… or to conquer that fear of taking the first step.


take care,
Skye Thomas

Tomorrow's Edge
...inspiring leaps of faith
www.TomorrowsEdge.net

Books, articles, newsletters,
life coaching, and horoscopes.




This Month's News of Interest:



The May monthly forecasts were sent out to the subscribers and posted to the website last Friday. Here are the links (hit refresh if the new forecasts do not show up)...





If the new horoscopes do not show up, please click on the “refresh” button within your browser.



Fun and unique goodies can be found at our Tomorrow's Edge Gift Shoppe!

Find out more about who you are...
Or if the two of you are compatible...
Or what's coming up around the next bend in the road!




Books by Skye Thomas




Who is Skye Thomas?

Skye Thomas is the CEO of Tomorrow's Edge, an Internet leader in inspiring leaps of faith. Her books, articles, and astrological forecasts have inspired people of all ages and faiths to recommit themselves to the pursuit of happiness. To read more of her articles, previews of her books, and her astrology forecasts, go to www.TomorrowsEdge.net. To read more about Skye and to read archives of this free weekly newsletter, go to www.SkyeThomas.com.



Skye Thomas Websites





Quote of the Week:

"I always remember an epitaph which is in the cemetery at Tombstone, Arizona. It says: "Here lies Jack Williams. He done his damnedest." I think that is the greatest epitaph a man can have - When he gives everything that is in him to do the job he has before him. That is all you can ask of him and that is what I have tried to do." - Harry Truman, 33rd US president

"If I were dropped out of a plane into the ocean and told the nearest land was 1,000 miles away, I'd still swim. And I'd despise the one who gave up." - Abraham Maslow, Psychologist

"The only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." - Nadia Comaneci, Gymnast



Feature Article of the Week:


The First Step

Today is an anniversary of sorts for me. Three years ago today, I publicly launched Tomorrow’s Edge after years of getting ready, talking about how I was someday going to do it, and researching everything except advertising! It was a huge first step in the middle of a bunch of first steps that I had taken up to that point. Naturally, it fell flat on its face because of my lack of education in the marketing area. So, here I am three years later, better educated, dusted off, boot straps pulled up, repeating that first step. I take a deep breath, psyche myself up, wiggle my toes a bit, bend my knee, lift my foot, and sit back down with another cup of coffee… Maybe in a minute or so.

Isn’t it funny how that first step gets to us? I’m not even scared this time. Heck, I wasn’t scared last time. It is the only career I have ever really wanted with any kind of passion and fire. Why is it we choke up when taking first steps towards those really big goals that we love so dearly? Ever notice that when it is something you do not give a rip about, the freeze never happens? We freeze up when taking that first step towards something special, because now we have something of importance to fail at. It is not the goal we are afraid of; it is the failing that scares us.

The key here is to start. So many people speak of a journey starting with a single step. It’s true. However, even if you have quit and are picking it back up again, at least the first step this time is farther along then the last time you started. For some of us, every single step towards success is so terrifying that it is a first step. Every step along the way towards our goal is a challenge. Keep in mind that each step is closer than the last one was. If you could do yesterday’s first step then surely you can do today’s first step because it is farther down the path. If you stop and look back over your shoulder, you will see that you have actually come quite a bit further than you had realized. You will feel a greater sense of progress than you did yesterday.

It really does not matter who you are or what you are trying to accomplish or who might not approve or what your current standing in the community is or anything else. What matters is that you get past the inner dialog that tells you those things do matter. No excuses are really valid. Our excuses are our first steps. “I do not have the capitol to start a business.” Then my first step is to get the capitol, rather than shelf the whole idea. “I do not know the first thing about building a house.” Then my first step is to get training. “I do not know how to read music.” Then my first step is to take a class. Make your excuses your first steps and watch your pride grow.

Remember to analyze each of those excuses like any other fear and make sure they are valid and worth becoming a step on your journey. It would be easy to get off track by taking care of your excuses instead of taking care of your dream. The point is to start taking action towards the life you have envisioned for yourself. “How is my attitude? Am I in charge or is my fear?”

What if you are scared to death of your next step and you want to step away from that fear? You just want a quiet moment to breathe without the fear. Did you step forward to breathe or did you step backwards? Did you sidestep? Remember this when stepping away from fear. Is the step away from fear also away from your dream? Is the step away from fear bringing you closer to your dream?

So many of us have been taught to dive in headfirst and attack our goals as if we are some type of mighty warrior going into battle. We run full steam ahead without wisdom to temper our actions. This will usually cause problems later. Occasionally, I will get so excited about charging in to face my fears, that I will become almost manic in my attempt to push forward to the end. This almost always messes me up. I have learned to stop and relish the moment, say thanks for the opportunity to conquer fear, and then when I have calmed back down, I can continue making plans.

It really does help to pace ourselves so that we have the staying power to complete a long involved project. Too often, we knock ourselves out trying to force it too fast and then we drop off exhausted. It does not feel good to continue at that pace and we will often quit rather than re-evaluate our timetables and slow down. Creating the dream can be as fulfilling as seeing the end results. Do not cheat yourself out of the positive feelings that come from overcoming fear and doubt by racing through too fast.

So, here I sit with my thoughts remembering all the times I have failed at this. You know what is funny; in retrospect, each event that appeared to be a failure was actually an amazing learning tool. I hate learning things that way!! Seriously though, I never really failed, I just became more and more educated, tempered, stronger, more self-confident, more defined, more focused, more streamlined, more global, more spiritual, more patient, and more harmonious with how it was all supposed to play out. I can see now why I had to go through those other first steps so that I could be here today in this moment taking this step. It is all exactly the way it should be. An infinite wisdom must have been at work somewhere behind the scenes. ‘Thank you.’ I’m ready now.


Need someone to talk to about life's challenges?
Skye Thomas is available for life coaching.


Adapted from a segment of Beyond the Inner-Critic by Skye Thomas, copyright 1999, 2003








If someone forwarded this newsletter to you and you would like to be included on a regular basis, send us an email to Subscribe@TomorrowsEdge.net with the words "free motivational newsletter" in the subject line. We will be happy to add you to the list.

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, send a blank email to Remove@TomorrowsEdge.net. We will make sure you are promptly removed without any hassles. This may sound obvious, but send it from the same email address that we send this to or the automated system will think you are opting a new address into the system instead of removing an old one.

To change email addresses, opt out of the old address by sending an email to Remove@TomorrowsEdge.net and then opt in with the new address by sending an email to
Subscribe@TomorrowsEdge.net with the words "free motivational newsletter" in the subject line.




Tomorrow's Edge
...inspiring leaps of faith
www.TomorrowsEdge.net

Books, articles, newsletters,
life coaching, and horoscopes.

No comments: