Skye Thomas

Skye Thomas
Writer, Rebel, and Soapbox Ranter

Monday, April 09, 2012

All Grown Up Now - Looking Up Newsletter

April 9th, 2012
Looking Up Newsletter

Good morning,

Yesterday, I failed miserably at NOT sunburning while attending an outdoor potluck at a local park.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend and that you are enjoying the springtime weather.


take care,
Skye Thomas

Tomorrow's Edge
...inspiring leaps of faith
www.TomorrowsEdge.net

Books, articles, newsletters,
life coaching, and horoscopes.




This Month's News of Interest:



The April monthly forecasts were sent out to the subscribers and posted to the website a couple of weeks ago. Here are the links (hit refresh if the new forecasts do not show up)...





Fun and unique goodies can be found at our Tomorrow's Edge Gift Shoppe!

Find out more about who you are...
Or if the two of you are compatible...
Or what's coming up around the next bend in the road!




Books by Skye Thomas




Who is Skye Thomas?

Skye Thomas is the CEO of Tomorrow's Edge, an Internet leader in inspiring leaps of faith. Her books, articles, and astrological forecasts have inspired people of all ages and faiths to recommit themselves to the pursuit of happiness. To read more of her articles, previews of her books, and her astrology forecasts, go to www.TomorrowsEdge.net. To read more about Skye and to read archives of this free weekly newsletter, go to www.SkyeThomas.com.



Skye Thomas Websites





Quote of the Week:

The Golden Rule of Parenting is; Do unto your children as you wish your parents had done unto you! - Louise Hart

Like its politicians and its war, society has the teenagers it deserves. - Joseph Priestley

Don't worry about avoiding temptation... as you grow older, it will avoid you. - Winston Churchill



Feature Article of the Week:


All Grown Up Now

It wasn’t seeing you graduate from high school a couple of weeks ago that got to me. It wasn’t your eighteenth birthday last winter. It crept up on me while listening to old songs from the 80’s over the last week. Music can so easily take us back to that place and time when we first fell in love with a song. I have been reminiscing about my own transition from high school student to college student and remembering those years of rebellion and the exhilaration of knowing that I was all grown up and that I could do whatever I wanted and that nobody could boss me around anymore. Remembering how foolishly I handled my first years of adulthood made me realize just how grown up you are now.

It seems like just last year that I brought home my baby girl from the hospital to introduce to her big brother. And wasn’t it just last month that you were experiencing your first heartbreak and I got to teach you about the incredible personal power that can come from something as simple as a makeover? Has it really been eighteen years already? Where did the time go? What happened to “Butterfly Kisses” and that Pebbles Flintstone ponytail? Remember when I bribed you with pierced ears if you would stop sucking your thumb for an entire month? Remember roller-skating birthday parties and begging for contact lenses? They say that it is a long-term commitment to agree to raise a child until they are eighteen years old, but I swear it was just a quick little moment that ended much too soon.

And look at you now, all grown up and making grown up decisions about grown up things. You seem so sure of yourself and so stoic as you enter the world of college, career planning, and résumés. You do not show any of the restlessness mixed with uncertainty that I felt at your age. In so many ways, you are already more grown up than I am now. I know that as we both age, the daughter naturally becomes the caregiver and the mother becomes the helpless one, but I really did not expect you to be my equal so soon. I am surprised at that part of me deep down inside that is so reassured that you are such a competent and independent young lady at such an early stage in the game of life.

I know that it is normal for parents to be proud of their daughters, but I find myself getting misty-eyed at just how wonderfully you have turned out. My goal was always to make sure that my children turned out better than me, that each generation improves upon the other. You make me feel like I have accomplished so much because I gave the world such a beautiful soul when I brought you into the world. What a gift you are.

I know you get tired of hearing me say this, but be careful when you are out there in the world. Watch out for strangers, do not do anything that would harm yourself, and don’t let people walk all over you. Remember to keep your eye on the long-term goal while thoroughly enjoying the journey towards achieving it. I know you hate being confrontational, but letting your inner-bitch out once in awhile can be a good thing. And when people break your heart, be glad you have a heart that can love so deeply. You would be amazed if you knew how many people find it difficult to love as loyally and genuinely as you do. And most of all, don’t forget to call your mother …often.

We mothers often curse our children with “When you grow up, I hope you have a child just like you!” Today, I pray that you be blessed with a daughter just like you. And yes, just between you and me, I hope your brothers end up with sons just like them! How you survived growing up with those two tag-teaming you, I will never know. I have always been amazed that you never hauled off and slugged either of them.

Neither of us has ever been the sappy type dwelling on those Hallmark Greeting Card moments, but today I find myself wondering if they have ever written a sappy enough greeting card about how much mothers love their daughters to express how I am feeling. I just keep misting up and remembering all of those darling moments we shared. I will never forget the day you realized who Santa was. Or the night your brother hid under your bed after we watched that scary movie and he scared the heck out of you. Or the look on your face when you saw your beautiful self in the mirror ready to go to your first formal dance. Or that day when I taught you how to stomp in muddle puddles and you were so freaked out about getting dirty, until you relaxed and reveled in it. Or when you came into the room not even two-years-old announcing “Neenee Jodeen do the YahYah dance!” and then marching around the room doing high kicks and chanting “Yah!” with each kick. Oh, how I have loved being your mom. Later today, when you get home, let’s paint our toes and watch chick-flicks together. And we will pretend that we aren’t sappy and silly sentimental girls.

Someday when you are sitting in my spot and you are realizing that your own baby girl is all grown up and feeling sentimental about how quickly the time has passed… then you will finally know how I feel about this moment with you. Until then, you will just have to deal with me occasionally watching you and appearing to weep for no good reason. I am just so glad that I was so lucky to have been given the opportunity to be there to see your journey.

Love,
Mom


Need someone to talk to about life's challenges?
Skye Thomas is available for life coaching.


Copyright 2009, Skye Thomas, Tomorrow’s Edge








If someone forwarded this newsletter to you and you would like to be included on a regular basis, send us an email to Subscribe@TomorrowsEdge.net with the words "free motivational newsletter" in the subject line. We will be happy to add you to the list.

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, send a blank email to Remove@TomorrowsEdge.net. We will make sure you are promptly removed without any hassles. This may sound obvious, but send it from the same email address that we send this to or the automated system will think you are opting a new address into the system instead of removing an old one.

To change email addresses, opt out of the old address by sending an email to Remove@TomorrowsEdge.net and then opt in with the new address by sending an email to
Subscribe@TomorrowsEdge.net with the words "free motivational newsletter" in the subject line.




Tomorrow's Edge
...inspiring leaps of faith
www.TomorrowsEdge.net

Books, articles, newsletters,
life coaching, and horoscopes.

No comments: